Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Instant Smile

I found something that brings an instant smile to my lovely wife. And i mean instant. Marilyn isn't what you would call a morning person (you Merkleys can attest to that), so getting her to smile before noon is quite an accomplishment. We both woke up today and went through our routines. We had to get an early start so that we could make it to our 9:15 appointment with the doctor. These appointments are pretty routine. They check her blood pressure, weight, and get a urine sample. Then we wait for the doctor to come in and let us know that everything is moving along as expected. Then comes the magic moment. He puts that little device on her tummy and there it is: The most precious sound in the world. That little woosh, woosh, woosh of the baby's heartbeat. Instantly, Marilyn's face lights up and she smiles so big i think she might pull a muscle in her cheeks. I don't know what is better, hearing that sound or seeing the smile on her face. I love that moment. Sure, i enjoy hearing the heartbeat as much as her, but i really enjoy seeing that smile.
I know i promised a poem or a song or something inspirational in my next post. I should've taken a picture of her smile. That is inspiration: The reaction of an expectant mother who can't wait to meet the little girl who, for now, can only speak to us through that precious heartbeat.

3 comments:

Our 3 Monkees said...

You are right that is truly a beatuiful/wonderful sound, it put a smile on my face eveytime too. Just wait a few more weeks and you will experience the moving and kicking. That is another truly amaving feeling. I am so happy for the two of you and so glad to hear the happiness this baby girl brings to both of you. Eric, you are a beautiful writer, i look forward to seeing your next post, and next time take the camera with you. =)

Anonymous said...

I have a smile on my face and in my heart for the sweetness you are sharing with us. Thank you so much for that! How can we not smile when we are a part of something so miraculous?
Ann Marie

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! We have never partaked in the 'blogging world' but after looking at yours, I would say is pretty cool. And it's true, Eric, you express your self very well- for a guy-lol. This time in life is truly a great experience and Brett and I hope you both treasure it as much as we have (and are :)). Thanks again for the great baby gifts. I love the practical gifts because they are always so useful! Take care and keep in touch-
Brett and Lindsay
Brett says not to let Eric crash test the new minivan- lol.

Just the 2 of us...

Photos by Maria Mitchem
Dated 9/18/06
Taken in our backyard in
San Antonio, TX